Search This Blog

Friday 2 November 2012

Blind Tasting Friday No. 3

Friday again ! And Peter has once more magiced a wine from the depths below, and the first thing that I will say is that it is red, well quite a pale red with a definite garnet rim, and on swirling - slow silky pale legs, great promise!
Popping my nose in the glass, the aromas jump out, red fruit ( cherry, plum ) all sweet and perfumed, there is a sprinkling of spice, smoky cedar box and an underlying - and delicious - animal / vegetal aroma, which I associate with a wine that has aged well! I can't wait to taste...... and already I think I have an idea ( it is pale.... animal and red fruit.....Pinot Noir is what I think ).

Tasting it confirms my hopes, good acidity, alcohol that surrounds and supports the fruit rather than being too warm, the tannins are low, ripe and silky with a savoury quality. The same red fruits from the nose are evident, plum and cherry but elegant and fine boned, they go hand and hand with spice, smoke and tea chest sort of flavours, the length.... long, it went on and on with sour red fruits and sweet spice all wrapped up in silk.
The whole wine is  well structured, with fruit still apparent on the palate, minerality is part of this wines makeup, quality in the silky texture, firm and deep but low tannins, the restrained well knitted wine is a delight!

So - now I must commit......  Pinot Noir from a good cool area, and old World, it does not have the lushness of a New World Pinot Noir - so it has to be Burgundy, and the age is 8-10 years due to the tertiary aromas ( animal/vegetal) and the garnet rim whilst still having a ruby core. I would say before 2005, with 2003 being a hot year would have had a higher alcohol level noticeable on the palate so not that - 2002 or 2004.
I shall post tomorrow what the wine was - see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment