Search This Blog

Friday 11 January 2013

It is Blind Tasting Friday - the first of 2013 for this!

Ruby with a slight hint of purple, medium opacity, the stem is easy to see through the glass.
Perfumed and fresh on the nose with red fruits and a twist of spice. Definite florality, say roses.
On tasting it - Fruity, sharp acidity that jumps around the mouth and an after lingering spice with a touch of smoke and a meaty salami. Tannins were minimal and felt ripe. Good length with sweet spice remaining, but it is the acidity that is the memorable feature of this wine - is it genuine? Has this wine come from a cool region or has it been acidified? The alcohol is not standing out, probably 13%'ish but balanced.

My thought summary : I think this wine comes from the old world, I feel that the acidity has been played with and the area that the grapes originated is warm, maybe not hot, but warm. Oak plays a definite part in this wines character, it does not have the smokey/nutty character that I would think of for Italy, but the savouriness......
So I feel either southern France or northern Spain, it has a feel of a Rioja, but not overpowered by oak, so I am going to say it is from the Navarra region of Spain or maybe more to the east towards Barcelona......
Grapes Garnacha, Tempranillo...... In that order ( though I would have expected higher alcohol if Grenache is the dominant grape, it was fairly transparently.....Grenache characteristic).

I will give the results later.



No comments:

Post a Comment