Search This Blog

Friday 19 October 2012

Blind Tasting no.1

My husband has been down to the cellar to pick a mystery wine for me to Taste Blind.
I will have bought it, but there are probably 1000+ wines down there - so alot to choose from! His choice so it will be something he wants to drink........ ( He is actually on a lovely glass of Coonawarra Cab Sauv 2006 at the mo...... so a plan for tomorrow with our Tomatoe Tarte Tatin at lunch I think).

He poured me a small amount into a tasting glass and this is what it looked like.

 
 
How I saw this wine
Pale lemon core with a watery white rim, it was clear and bright with no sediment or bubbles. On swirling it there was a viscous texture too it and it coated the glass. Legs not apparent.
 
Aroma Character
Clean and fresh with a fruit driven start, apple, white stone fruit, lime and a definite peapod tinge. Minerality ( stoney / slatey) played heavily in the spectrum and then there was a floral cast, white flowers, herbs also figure. At the end I was aware of a kerosene aroma, this indicates some maturity in this wine.
 
On the Palate
The wine was dry with a little residual sugar, with flavours of white stone fruit, apple, lime, stoney minerality, all rounded and complete,  with  a  texture that was silky and mouth coating, the flavours grow in the mouth, this shows class and elegance. Great zesty acidity, low alcohol and medium body define this wine. It feels balanced and edgy, fresh on the palate with a bone dry finish.
Long, long length with a apple / apricot finish enrobed with stoney slate and the finish is dry!
 
My overall impression
A well made wine from a cool climate ( the fresh acidity, low alcohol and dry finish), good vineyard ( minerality) and a wine with some age 5+ years ( kerosene).
Worth noting : Acidity, Kerosene, Glass coating viscosity, low alcohol, colour, aromas of apple/white stone fruit and lime and the florality/herbal edge..
 
So I will leave you to ponder, any suggestions welcome, he is keeping it under wraps until tomorrow afternoon, I will post when I know - I will say it went well with our dinner, chicken breast stuffed with spinach and wrapped with proscuito and fennel baked carrots on the side..... That was after mushrooms with blue cheese / spinach topping.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment